Friday, June 5, 2015

Napatak Community Association Annual General Meeting Minutes May, 18, 2015

Napatak Community Association
Annual General Meeting
McCarty/Bingham Boathouse on Niskemin Drive
Monday May 18th, 2015 at 10:00 a.m.

1. Welcome and introductions – Maureen Bingham
a. Executive introductions – Nicole L’Heureux, Laura Johnston, Kona Guest, Jody
Watt, Laurie Thompson, Tracey Fesiuk and Maureen Bingham
b. Government representatives – none available
c. Community member introductions – name, street and number of years at Napatak.
Nice mix of “been here forever” and new young couples and families.

2. Minutes from 2014 AGM – Tracey Fesiuk
- Minutes were distributed ahead of time. Motion to dispense with reading –
Charlotte Milne, seconded – Bert Gogal, carried3. Agenda review – Maureen Bingham
- No additions to the agenda

4. Financial Report – Maureen Bingham
As of April 30, 2015:
Total cash in our account - $114,644
2014 Tax Revenue - $30,926.82 (up $1500 from last year)
2014 Total Expenses – $435,127 (down $1300 from last year)
Major expenses:
Snow removal and road maintenance - $25,515 (including brushing of ditches)
Waste Management - $5988
Government Services - $3073

5. Roads – Laura Johnston
- Good news – a count was done to determine how much traffic goes into Napatak and highways now agreed to do a flared corner at the turn-off from the highway.
There is no timeline yet on this.
- Ditch clearing half done in preparation for natural gas lines. Highway to do the rest.
- A grader is to be brought in to bring the gravel to the centre again.
- A gravel crusher is to be brought in to make gravel so there will be lots of gravel available.
- The main loops need work and maintenance.
- We will wait until the SaskPower work is done before we will ask for more gravel on loops.
- Grading needs to be done more often. We would like to see grading once a month on the loops.
- Highways has declined to service Mistik – 2 letters have come from the minister of highways stating they are not responsible for it. We are considering offering to pay highways to grade, apply calcium and plough Mistik.
- We have limited resources for residential road maintenance. The spending
breakdown from last year is as follows:
o Snow removal -$7000
o Road maintenance - $2000
o Brush cutting – $15000
- Concerns raised about stumps left behind after brush cutting on loops. Maureen has sent pictures of stumps left too high to NMS and they will share our concerns with the contractors.
- Brush cutting will not have to be done this year so that will help with the budget.
- We have been told that the main road is getting gravel but consensus is that it will need more work - clay cap and crown repair before the gravel.
- Motion to negotiate with the government to add Mistik to their loop – Bernie Johnston, seconded – Jody Watt, passed.
- Roads need to be a priority. We need to lobby for this as a community so the more voices and letters sent in, the better. Executive to share bullet points and contact names and addresses so individuals can send their own letters.

6. Boat Launches – Nicole L’Heureux
- Parks are to install the A-side dock next week.
- Nicole asked them if she could trim brush in the boat launch areas but she was told no as they will do it.
- Sketches of both boat launches were shared to describe best use of space.
- On the B side - no parking in the roadway to the boat launch. Vehicles and trailers should pull as far up towards the trees as possible. Executive will be placing logs to indicate preferred parking location to allow for lots of turnaround space for launching a boat.
- On the A-side - Henry Brown is hoping to be there this week to finish the parking lot. Grading and crushed rock still needs to be done and logs (instead of concrete barriers) added to define parking area and pattern. The original lot will now be a turn- around area only.
- Boyd Krakowka has the signs for the lot and they will be installed once the area is finished.

7. Bylaws – Laurie Thompson
a. Dog Bylaw – The bylaw says we have access to the La Ronge dog pound. We can take loose dogs there. Laurie Thompson is developing a proposal for the use of their dog catcher.
b. Development Bylaw – Laurie, Colin & George all sit on the Northern Planning Committee – Laurie as the Napatak representative. There are proposed changes:
- Building height – no change at Napatak – Eagle Point and Nemieben may change
- Minimum building area – the proposed amendment is that Eagle Point and Nemieben go to 600 square feet and the minimum size be removed from Napatak.
These changes wouldn’t come in effect until next building season.
- Proposal for secondary suites – will apply everywhere. Secondary suites will be permitted but they must fit and not be more than (either 40 or 60% to be confirmed) of the principal dwelling size or 650 square feet maximum (whichever is less ) 325 square feet of open space for secondary suite and setbacks. This is not
adopted yet and Dee needs to draft so would not be in effect for this building season.
- Portable garage and shelter – to be allowed at Napatak however must be in the side or back yard with height and size restrictions.

8. Sewage Lagoon – Kona Guest
a. Brushing the road into the sewage lagoon – there will be a call for volunteers for late summer / fall.
b. Dredging / draining – found a permit which has been sent to Hasan Akhtar at NMS. Waiting to hear back on this. Maureen to check. The lagoon has previously been pumped out but not dredged. We are hoping to discharge the liquid and dredge.

9. Recreation – Nicole L’Heureux and Kona Guest
a. Beach clean up – beach clean up was done with a work bee.
- Orange and yellow survey tape marks the walking trail along the shore to Waskos to be done. We are hoping to get another work bee for this. Anyone working on the trail would need to have the permit on them.
- We will need another permit to do the A-side trails. It took 4-5 visits to get the Bside permit.
- Motion to apply for a permit for the A-side – Dave Gudjonson, seconded Brendon Zarazun, carried.
- People living close to pathways are asked to help out with checking on and maintaining the walking path / snowmobile signs. Move them out of the way in winter so snowplow doesn't hit them. Switch from beach to snowmobile seasonally.
b. Trails – maps available - contact Maureen Bingham for copies.

10.Natural Gas – Laura Johnston
- Work has started and natural gas will be coming this year – hopefully by fall. Gas lines are to be put in on the opposite side of the road from the power boxes.
- Will send out updates as we have them. They are supposed to get started this week.
- Maureen will contact SaskEnergy to double check that the power lines are properly marked. There is concern that they might be trying to put the gas in on the same side as the power and that the power lines are not always easy to locate.

11.Emergency Preparedness – Jody Watt
a. Block Captains – Trying to update the contact list and make an electronic version.
b. Emergency Contact process: When Northern Municipal Services declares an emergency, Jody and Maureen are to be contacted.
- A group email / text is then to be sent out.
- Block captains are to be contacted and they are to contact the people on their list to notify them of the emergency.
- Keep track of who has been contacted.
- Let Maureen or Jody know if you are not on the contact list.
- Fire is the biggest worry. We will have to be diligent and monitor our neighbourhoods as this is forecasted to be a dry year. Clean up the dead fall on your lot. Will need to address the empty lots which have quite a bit of dead fall on them.
- We will try to look into programs which may be available to clean up the dead trees.

12.New Business
- Community Bulletin Board – looking for ways to share information of interest to the community. Discussed including it in electronic newsletter, on our blog which has minutes and newsletters, or on Facebook. Suggestion of a website also raised. Concerns that Community Association not be seen as promoting a particular service or product.
- Motion to include community services in the newsletter with a disclaimer –
Charlotte Milne, seconded Bernie Johnston, carried.
- Email from a concerned resident – people pushing snow across the road as this pushes the gravel off the road and the piled snow can block drivers’ views. Also concerned that when they come up for a weekend, they are surrounded by construction. As a courtesy, please keep your lots as clean as possible while you are
- Kona – trying to get a sign at the highway – caution left turning vehicles. She is hoping the flaring will help. Another possibility might be a bigger Napatak sign to let people know that vehicles will be turning off into our community. Laura will check if there is any timeline on the flaring.
- Bernie – concern about dune-buggies and quads tearing up the paths and driving late at night.
- Permission has been granted to move rocks in to block off the end of Ogow where a walking path has become a truck trail. Contact Northern Municipal Services regarding payment if you can do this.
- Maureen will include in the newsletter a request for people to show neighbourly
courtesy and to slow down when there are pedestrians and cyclists on the road.

13.Executive Elections
- Maureen and Tracey’s terms are over but are available for re-election
- New members:
- Brendan Zarazun – Nicole L’Heureux nominated, Warren Koch seconded
- Maureen Bingham – Warren Koch nominated, Jody Watt seconded
- Tracey – Maureen Bingham nominated, Claire McCarty seconded
- Show of hands for each executive member on the list - passed.
- Motion to end the meeting – George Pidhaychuk , Kona Guest seconded - passed.